Sunday, January 3, 2010

empty yet full?

After writing the following entry in my journal, I heard something during a sermon this Sunday that I'm adding as a preface. Rev. Marinda Harris is the minister of West Hills Presbyterian whose congregation shares a church and a worship service with Rice Memorial Presbyterian, the church I attend here in Atlanta. She said "it doesn't matter if your glass is half empty or half full; what's important is that you have a glass and God is pouring something into it!"

Empty. That is how this new year has begun. So many aspects of my life are currently empty. The gas tank in my car (or rather, the car my parents have been lending me for the past 5 years) is just a few miles from being completely empty. My bank account is a few cents (.97) from being empty. My Marta card has but a couple days left before it will be empty. The pantry shelves that usually hold my food are nearly empty.

Full and overflowing. That is also how this new year has begun. So many aspects of my life are currently full. I am full of excitement about the work I'm doing at the outreach center. My social calendar has been filled with friends visiting me and me visiting friends over the recent holidays. The Y fills me with energy and endorphines from exercising. My housemates, neighbors, and acquaintances are full of thought-provoking questions that are helping me discern more about my life and my relationship with God and with others. Not to mention, my stomach is full of nutritious food, my dresser drawers are full of comfortable clothes, and my house is full of warm air and warm people.

So, why is the emptiness significant? It seems that sometimes stark emptiness or nothingness is necessary. A sense of being financially empty or without, tends to make me question just how much power I have when I do spend money. I often find it difficult to fully understand what many families go through as they struggle to make ends meet-- to feed their children, pay the rent or mortgage, and get everyone where they need to be without spending more money than they're making at their job(s). Going several days with nothing in my bank account but a handful of loose change gives me a slight glimpse into that world, a taste of the stress and burden brought on by financial hardship.

I am grateful to have the opportunity to struggle-- with myself, my choices, my contribution and participation in society-- and I will embrace this struggle, so that I may grow. Only when we as humans truly engage or wrestle with our circumstances, can we change our ways and move closer to the people whom God created us to be and calls us to be. If we do not love we are nothing. And if we do not struggle, we do nothing (worthwhile).

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to speak of your experience! Thanks for sharing Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good post, Katie! I{m really enjoying reading your blog! As I was reading this post I thought of a book that is a 6 week daily meidtation and prayer thing by Joyce Rupp called The Cup of Our Life.. if you havent heard of it I think you might like it... peace!

    ReplyDelete