Tuesday, February 23, 2010

fasting

Distraction is an interesting concept because it is relative. If something or someone seems to be very distracting from the task in which I am presently engaged, I am often tempted to ask myself, why is this so distracting? Could it be because I am not so focsued on the task at hand? Or could it be because the distraction is actually toward what I need to devote my attention? It is even more curious to think about this in light of reading about fasting as a spiritual discipline. The book I'm reading for our house discussion speaks a great deal to distractions that surface during fasting, and just what those thoughts mean for our lives. Honestly, I don't think I've ever given fasting a whole lot of thought. Sure, I've fasted a few times before, but never very fervently or reverently. Praying has been more a forced part of fasting than a desired focus. The content of Celebration of Discipline:The Path to Spiritual Growth is fairly straightforward, yet the words are heavy and dare to point to reasons why I should fast on regular basis. So, needless to say I am considering fasting and perhaps doing it often. I can hardly find a reason, now, not to fast. But I will certainly approach this spiritual discipline in a much more serious and intentional way.

1 comment:

  1. Richard Foster can be very convincing...grace and peace as you intentionally focus.

    ReplyDelete