Monday, November 2, 2009

laughter

I met an older man today with a very gentle spirit and thick glasses. He needed an eye exam, but wasn’t eligible for the Prevent Blindness Clinic, as he had already been seen by them within the last three years. His glasses frames were broken in half and one of the lenses wouldn’t fit in the frame. I made him an appointment at a Lens Crafters with the Gift of Sight voucher; however, it was the last appointment they had for the year and it wasn’t until November 25th! Because it took so long to find an eye doctor who could/would see him for free, Esther (a volunteer) and I were able to take the time to look through the drawer of reading glasses and try to find frames that may fit his bifocal lenses. We never found any big enough, but we sure tried! There was even a moment when I was on the phone and the two of them were trying to pop a lens out of some plastic-frame glasses that it flew across the room and they both burst out in laughter. It was such a pleasure to spend time with that guest, and I am learning to appreciate each minute, since I’m never sure if they will come back or if I’ll ever see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment