Monday, November 2, 2009

not just another Monday

(written a couple Mondays ago)

I volunteered to pray for our staff and guests this morning, in the usual prayer circle we form before opening our doors to guests each morning.

A guest I worked with last week came back in this afternoon. He was someone I had gotten frustrated with because he didn’t seem to appreciate the help I offered, and I personally thought he complained a lot considering his situation. However, when he came in today he explained that he was going to move in with his mother because although he wants to be independent, he has realized after a couple of week on the streets and in shelters that it’s not easy and he is accepting his mom’s offer to live with her until he starts college in the spring. So, for me it was uplifting. I commented on how much it takes to accept that offer for help, and he confirmed that it was not his first choice but after giving his best effort at staying on his own (in shelters), he needed his mother’s help. What began as a guest who disappointed me, ended as a guest I was humbled by. Funny how things turn around sometimes.

A co-worker gave me a ride home so I wouldn’t have to walk in the torrential downpour!

Today was a great day.

Oh, and free haircuts were today at the center-one of the many things we don’t think about being an issue for homeless persons but definitely an important service.

No comments:

Post a Comment