Monday, November 2, 2009

what if?

Today was a very full day. I could tell when I first arrived by the length of the line of people waiting, that we would have our hands full and busy. I met some genuinely kind individuals in my one-on-one counseling. I have quickly realized how many people there are in this world that want someone to talk with, who just need a listening ear. If I can be wholly present and truly listen to them, whether they’re telling me their story or just complaining about life and how much it sucks some days, I think God can and will use me. It’s important to understand that homeless people like any other people have needs, desires, wants, dreams, hopes, and fears. While a homeless person may be forced to settle for less or lower quality/quantity, it is imperative that their wishes still be heard.

I walk past the same woman each morning and each afternoon on the street that runs beside the outreach center. She is packing her suitcase when I’m on my way to work and usually reading as I head home. I smile and say hello at every encounter, and though her eyes always meet mine, she only smiles, never speaks. I wonder if I should stop and try to start a conversation with her. Would she be stand-offish? Would she wonder why I never stopped before? What if she left?

No comments:

Post a Comment